Re: Yarra Trams Revenue Protection

To hear a Hillside Trains employee say that makes me wonder who does
their training. Nothing personal, but thats rubbish.

Below I have reproduced S.218B of the Transport Act.

For those who can't be bothered wading through it, they can't ask for
your name unless they believe you've committed an offence, they have to
tell you what they think you've done, and if you ask for it, they have
to provide you with their ID.

Vaughan

> Yes, you have to give them any idenifying details thay ask for. By the
> transport act (don't ask me which year) ticket inspectors can demand
ID
> from anyone, whenever thay are on railway/tramway property,
reguardless of
> weather they are suspected of commiting an offence. In this way, they
have
> more power than police.

(1) In this section "authorised officer" means-

   (a)  an authorised officer within the meaning of section 218; or

   (b)  a person appointed in writing by the Secretary for the purposes
of
        this section; or

   (c)  an officer of the Public Transport Corporation appointed in
writing by
        that Corporation for the purposes of this section.

(1A) Without limiting sub-section (1), an appointment of a person by the
Secretary for the purposes of this section may be made subject to any
condition or limitation specified in the instrument of appointment.

(2) An authorised officer or a member of the police force may request a
person
to state his or her name and address if the officer or member believes
on
reasonable grounds that the person has committed or is about to commit
an
offence against this Act or the regulations.

(3) An authorised officer or member of the police force who makes a
request
under sub-section (2) must inform the person of the grounds for his or
her
belief in sufficient detail to allow the person to understand the
nature of
the offence or suspected offence.

(4) A person must not, in response to a request made by an authorised
officer
or member of the police force in accordance with this section-

   (a)  refuse or fail to comply with the request; or

   (b)  state a name that is false in a material particular; or

   (c)  state an address other than the full and correct address of his
or her
        ordinary place of residence or business.

Penalty applying to this sub-section: 5 penalty units.

(5) A person who is requested by an authorised officer or a member of
the
police force to state his or her name and address may request the
officer or
member to state, orally or in writing, his or her name and place of
duty and
to produce his or her authority.

(6) An authorised officer or member of the police force must not, in
response
to a request under sub-section (5)-

   (a)  refuse or fail to comply with the request; or

   (b)  state a name that is false in a material particular; or

   (c)  state as his or her place of duty an address other than the
full and
        correct address of his or her ordinary place of duty; or

   (d)  refuse to comply with the request in writing if requested to do
so.

Penalty applying to this sub-section: 5 penalty units.

(7) This section is subject to section 215B(8).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.