Yarra Trams Revenue Protection

They have not got a clue - actual conversation follows (occurred on a 96
near St. Kilda Station):

Revenue Protection Officer: Ticket please.

David Proctor: (Hands Australian Open Staff Photo ID Pass)

RPO: This is only good between the City and the tennis.

DP: That is for tennis tickets - staff ID's are valid everywhere on Yarra
Trams for the duration of the tournament.

RPO: Whoever told you that is telling you rubbish. Can I see some ID?

DP: How about you have a look in this book?

DP finds relevant page in AO Staff Handbook, which reads "Your staff ID,
with Yarra Trams on the back, will provide you with access to the entire
Yarra Trams network from 10/1/00 until 30/1/00."

RPO: That is irrelevant - it is not a Yarra Trams publication, it is a
tennis book. I need your drivers licence so I can verify your address for
the fine.

DP: Before you make a bigger idiot of yourself than you already have, can I
suggest you contact your base to check up on this? I would hate to have to
fight this in the courts and have Yarra Trams pay my legal fees.

RPO thinks about it then uses radio. After a few minutes, RPO says that I
was wrong and he was right, decides not to issue infringement notice NOR
make me buy a ticket, and gets off tram at next stop.

Two days later, a different RPO checks my pass, all he does is look at the
back for the Yarra Trams logo and keeps going. (He looked for the logo since
only AO staff were entitled to travel, whereas others with passes - like
media, etc. - were not AO staff, so were not entitled to travel).

Dave