Re: Connex

In article <3A4E770F.CD73F15B@primus.com.au>, Railvic
<railvic@primus.com.au> writes
>Dear all,
>
>Correct me, if I'm wrong, but the rolling stock used by Connex in
>England are leased from another company?  If this is correct, then it is
>no wonder that that carriages are old.
IT IS CORRECT.   In the UK there as ROSCOs (Rolling Stock companies0 who
own the rolling stock) and lease it to the TOCs (Train operating
companies).

However, this was done with the specific intention securing better
rolling stock!   The logic goes:  if a TOC owns the rolling stock it
won't invest in new rolling stock in case it loses its franchise (in
which case it might be worthless to it).   I'm not saying this is right
(and I certainly don't want to come across as someone out to defend the
British way of doing things on this matter) but it wasn't some sort of
"oversight" in the privatisation process:  it was done with good
intentions.

>Whereas in Melbourne, Connex owns the carriages and will
>introduce new ones from 2002.
So what safeguard did the Victorian government build in (and I'm sure
they did) to prevent a TOC nearing the end of its franchise neglecting
rolling stock?

>As for the comment on our customers, perhaps we should start a
>television show called "Australian worst travelling customers" and for
>those not work in this industry, I can assure you that it is very
>"entertaining"!
That is not a purely Australian phenomenon, believe me!

>To kick this idea off ...
>
>A teenage girl complained to a station assistant that all Telstra public
>payphones across the street don't take coins, only phonecards.  The
>station assistant reminded her that this is a railway station and the
>train operator has not branched out to telephone services in Australia.
>She has been directed to make such a complaint to Telstra.  She walked
>away from the booking office windows yelling with some very "colourful"
>words ...
I had to listen to a lady complaining to a bus driver this morning about
the non-arrival of the bus in front, as though he had some magical power
over it.......   (This in 30cm of snow, too!)
--
Ian Jelf        http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Birmingham, UK