Re: Track Safety Awareness Online

"David Johnson" <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
3A4B2C4A.689C4EAC@ozemail.com.au">news:3A4B2C4A.689C4EAC@ozemail.com.au...
> I just went to the Austrailtrain web site that Maikha posted and did the
> final assessment.  I failed, Cool Huh?
>
>                     Q12. An up line has a number on it that ends with:
>                             A. an odd number
>                             B. a zero
>                             C. an even number
>                      Answer: B
>
> Whilst B can be correct, I would have thought C would be more accurate?

The lines themselves don't have numbers AFAIK, but if they're talking about
mileages/kilometrages on staunchions. bridges, signals etc, it's usually even
numbers for up, odd for down.

>                     Q13. Fixed signals are:
>                     A. provided as a means of communication between
engineering workers
>                     B. provided to indicate the distance from Sydney
>                     C. provided to safely control the movement of trains
>                 Answer: B
>
> Very expensive way of converting to miles, don't you think?  I said C, but
got it wrong.

You were definately correct and they're wrong.

>                     Q14. Fixed signals:
>                              A. are intended to be visible to drivers
>                              B. tell when to move forward or back
>                              C. show what speed to travel
>                              D. can be anywhere beside the track
> >                     Answer: C
>
> This is sort of true, moreso in Victoria.  However, my feeling would be that
> speed would be decided more by speedboards.  The most accurate answer IMHO
> is A.

I would say A & D are both correct, C is incorrect.

>                     Q15. Semi Automatic Signals:
> >                             A. change colour with the heat
> >                             B. operate by train movement
> >                             C. are worked from the signal box
> >                     Answer: B
>
> I ticked B and C, but got it wrong.  Perhaps more information is needed in
> the question?

Yes, both B & C can be correct, though not at the same time of course.