Re: Official launch in Bendigo of restored Sydney tram R 1808

Paul Nicholson wrote:

> The story of the offer from Sydney was told on the tram yesterday. I can
> remember it being reported in the paper.

Oh yes, it was true. I was confirming it, not doubting it, and also
adding that the same trams were also offered to Calcutta. I researched
all this from newspaper files in the Melbourne library in the early
1970s.

> But, apparently, Sir Henry Bolte, would have nothing of it.

Bolte was around even then? Good lord. He hated trams, despised them. At
least he didn't have the power to have them axed, he just starved the
independent tramways board of capital.

It sickened me when the new bridge over the Docklands was named after
him.

Is he still alive? He was last time I heard.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand