Re: Official launch in Bendigo of restored Sydney tram R 1808

"David McLoughlin" <davemcl@NO***damned***SPAMiprolink.co.nz> wrote in
message 3a4d599f@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:3a4d599f@news.iprolink.co.nz...
> Paul Nicholson wrote:
> > But, apparently, Sir Henry Bolte, would have nothing of it.
>
> Bolte was around even then? Good lord. He hated trams, despised them. At
> least he didn't have the power to have them axed, he just starved the
> independent tramways board of capital.
>
> It sickened me when the new bridge over the Docklands was named after
> him.

Most suitable I thought - an ugly tollway bridge with zero use by public
transport.

Anyway what did you expect, he was Kennett's hero.

> Is he still alive? He was last time I heard.

I don't think so. There was a lot of fuss last year when Kennett was found
to have "accidentally" taken a very valuable painting of Bolte home with
him. The way the papers wrote about it then, it sounded like he died some
time ago.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia