Re: Official launch in Bendigo of restored Sydney tram R 1808

> PS: Wouldn't it be wonderful if 1808 could make a detour to run in
Melbourne
> on it's way back to the Sydney tram museum!

A story I heard some years ago was that Melbourne's Tramway Board was
offered the fleet of R1 class trams at 6000 pounds ($12,000) each when the
Sydney system closed in 1961.  The newest of these was built in 1953 and was
then only eight years old.  At that time Melbourne had considerably older
trams still in service (W type dating back to mid 1920s)  They didn't take
up the offer, and the trams were either burnt or sold as sheds for 50 pounds
($100) each.

Regards

David Bennetts
Bowral