Re: Dynamic Fairway

More details on what exactly is proposed:

A tram detector approx 100m before the first sign. Two overhead signs over
the right-hand lane at 50m & 100m (from memory) before the intersection.
When a tram is detected, it activates flashing lane markers (cats-eyes) at
the beginning of the section to lead cars into the left-hand lane, and the
sign changes to either:

a) "Right Turn only (Trams Excepted)" if right turns are allowed. (With no
tram detected it shows straight & right turn)
or
b) "No Entry (Trams Excepted)" if no right turns are allowed (With no tram
detected it shows straight only)

I would assume that the right turn arrow at the intersection would also be
activated in the first case to clear the lane in front of the tram (much as
it is now).

It will be interesting indeed to see what Joe Motorist makes of lanes
changing function beneath him. Given the almost suicidal manouvres I see car
drivers make every day to get in front of a tram (usually to be blocked by
the same traffic that is slowing the tram), I can't imagine people
courteously moving aside to allow the tram to sail past and get in front of
them again.

Regards,

Mike Alexander
(malex @ bigfoot com)