Re: [Melb] Connex called

> >- they prefer to run 3 car trains on weekends because it lessens the
> >risk of vandalism on the outer parts of the lines
> >

> what?  I would have thought that most vandalism would have been done at
> sidings etc, when there was no-one on/watching the train, is there that
much
> vandalism done on trains while they're running?

Acutally the reduced risk of vandalisim is the very same reason as i would
put up 4 running 3 car trains on weekends.  On the Bayside lines to the
south east i would drop back the trains to 3 cars durning the non-peaks as
well, I catch Broadmeadows trains all the time and they seem to be in good
condition, however the trains that run the south-east services can be best
described as "trash cans on wheels".  When u run 3 car trains u lessen the
chance of an emtpy carraige and increase the safety of the passengers, quite
often when comming back into the city from glenferrie on a wk day i have the
carrage to myself, and i could do whatever i like to it.

Most of the vandalism has to happen when the trains r in service b/c most of
the time they're locked up when put onto sidings, i do know a few yards that
dont have fencing & gates hwoever the majorty do.  When i sent an email to
Hillside earlier this year complaining about the state of their trains i
recieved a phone call back, he explained to me that the majority of
vandalism occurs whislt the trains r in service.

> What about all the video cameras and "customer service" people they have
on
> the trains now?  At least I would have guessed that they would be able to
> catch people as they are vandalising the trains if they do it then...

There are only the crapex trains with video cameras in them and i doubt they
will make any difference.  Basically you may have the people on film however
it doesnt mean that your r gunna catch em.  There r some unrefub comengs
running around with cameras in them (i do know that these cameras r no
longer in operation, however do the vandals know that?), the last time i was
on a hillside one it had seats slashed and windows missing, so the cameras
didnt stop that from happening.

Regards

Andrew