[Melb] Connex called

Okay, just had an interesting chat with Mr Connex (I didn't catch his real
name). Don't know if I only got a call back because of the letter in the
paper (he certainly knew about it), but he basically stated that their
position is:

- they only run 6 car trains on weekends for special events

- they constantly monitor passenger loading

- they prefer to run 3 car trains on weekends because it lessens the risk of
vandalism on the outer parts of the lines

- they believe some people standing on inner sections of lines is acceptable

- Connex run 3 trains of 6 carriages leaving the city between 5 and 6pm on
weekends

I asked if to counter the overcrowding they would consider more trains in
the inner suburbs (eg Box Hill to city) on weekends. He said they have
problems with driver penalty rates, and they prefer to concentrate on
building weekday services instead.

I re-stated my position that occasional users of trains are likely to be put
off if they have to stand on a short train on the weekend. He said he
realised that but because of all the other factors, they would not be
changing their position.

To end on a conciliatory note I said that I thought overall with the new
trains and more services on Sundays, they were doing a pretty good job. He
mentioned that Bayside had done better than Connex by increasing Sunday
night service, but that Connex had decided not to because to match it they
would have required an extra 6 train sets in service, with the increased
risk of vandalism.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia