Re: [Melb] Tram fare cheats get ultimatum

Paul Dwerryhouse wrote:

> "David Lindstrom" <D_Lindstrom@Bigpond.com> writes:
>
> >There will be no escape for tram fare evaders, a private transport operator
> >has warned at the launch of a campaign to change the ticket-buying patterns
> >of Melburnians.
>
> Maybe if they wanted people to buy tickets, they'd make it easier to buy
> them on board. Until that happens, I don't see the general opinion of
> tickets being optional on Melbourne trams changing.
>
> And they could save a fortune on ticket machines and Gestapo if they just
> made public transport free.

Paul, "they could save a fortune on ticket machines and gestapo", but
who's going to pay for drivers, other operation staff and associated
cost of running public transport (eg. vehicle maintenance, electricity,
vandalism, etc.)?  Why don't apply the same principle to airlines?  I
think not ... It is another form of transportation and I may add that
there are more processes airline passengers have to go through before
allowed to put their foot into an aircraft (eg. reserve and collect
ticket, check-in, ticket check at the boarding gate, etc.).  Why should
public transport be any different?  If passengers are not happy with the
procedures and regulations, then don't use the service!  Personally, I
don't like certain fast-food stores, so I don't buy food from them ...
simple!

Free public transport means no public transport, because it is simply
not possible to run them without any revenue, unless taxpayer is willing
to foot every bill (we may have to increase tax in order to achieve
this?).  For example, each saloon window for Melbourne trains costs
about $1,500 each.  You don't have to have many of them damaged before
running up a multi-million dollar bill just on saloon windows ...