Re: Wheaton Metro Escalator; 2nd Longest Anywhere?

    Re escalator lengths.
  If anyone has a stopwatch and a bit of spare time, it is possible to
calculate escalator slope lengths and speeds. All escalator steps are 600mm
(0.6m) long. Firstly observe the escalator and count the number of steps
going past in say one minute, from this one can calculate the speed.
Secondly, step onto the same escalator and time how long it takes from top
to bottom or v.v. With this time and the previously worked out speed in
metres per minute or whatever, the escalator length can be worked out, and
as all escalators run at an angle of 30 deg. to the horizontal, the vertical
height covered is half of the calculated length.
  Of course, by this time one would have probably been arrested by a
security  person!

Regards.

Bill.

B6b%5.22321$xW4.173921@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:B6b%5.22321$xW4.173921@news-server.bigpond.net.au...