Re: Speedrail derailed?

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 22:25:28 +1100, Eddie Oliver
<eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote:

>Maurie Daly wrote:
>
>> Further on this issue a bit , did NSW ever have the facility to switch
>> out electric staff stations and use a thru staff between distant
>> stations as Victoria did.
>> Was quite common on the Western line on Sundays ?
>
>Yes, but it was not normally used on a short-term basis - rather, a
>staff station might be cut out all year except when traffic density was
>very high. The last such case was Monkerai - Nooroo - Stroud Road, where
>Nooroo was normally cut out (indeed I don't remember it ever actually
>being cut in).
>
>However there was a variant applied on both the Richmond and Belmont
>lines, where a whole line (or almost a whole line) normally worked by
>electric staff over multiple sections could instead be worked as a
>single section by a single ordinary train staff at times of low traffic.
>
>Eddie

Thanks Eddie.
Pity that SRA couldnt introduce this between Joppa Jnct and
Queanbeyan.
You could use it on most days when the very few freight trains dont
run,as the exploder never crosses itself.
Must be heaps of old staff instruments lying around waiting to be
scrapped.
Guess we ill have to wait for train orders.

MD