Re: [VIC] New Swanston Timetables

Mike Alexander wrote:

> Has anyone done an analysis of the new timetables introduced across the
> southern Swanston tram routes last Sunday?
>
> A cursory glance at my local routes (3 & 78) shows:
>
> * The 3 now runs a 12-minute off-peak rather than the 15-minute it used to.
> This is just bringing it back to how it was 10 years ago. I'm assuming
> they've done the same to the 67, 64 & 5, which were cut back at the same
> time.
>
> * The 78 now only runs a 15-minute peak frequency, rather than the 12-minute
> it used to have. All the posters on the trams make grand apologies about the
> 16 & 69 having their peak frequencies reduced (from 10 to 12, I believe) due
> to the lack of Ws, but no mention of this extremely inconvenient cutback to
> the 78. (A 15-minute "peak" frequency is worse than the off-peak). However,
> the number of trams on the line per day hasn't changed, so there must be
> some improvement somewhere else.
>
> The on-line timetables _still_ haven't been posted, two days after the
> event. This is inexcusable.
>
> Also spotted yesterday, a B-class in Carlisle St running the 69. The
> Swanston web site mentions this, but it is a strange sight.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mike Alexander
> (malex @ bigfoot com)

Of interest is the fact that the route 69 and 16 are now combined. On
arrival at St Kilda the 16 turns into Carlisle St and becomes a 69 tram.
The 16 will no longer be going down Acland St anymore. Having driven on
this "new route" I can say that it is along time between smokes and
toilet breaks now, the trip for the tram driver is almost an hour and a
half (thats if things run to time)

CNS