Re: Speedrail derailed?

David Bennetts wrote:

> My personal view is that a lot could be shaved off the existing timetable
> now using existing Xplorer sets by replacing the primitive electric staff
> safeworking between Canberra and Goulburn with train order working (at least
> 5 minutes at each of Queanbeyan, Bungendore and Tarago is wasted when the
> driver has to stroll over to the signal box/communications room, unlock the
> door, sink the peg and wrestle with the staff instrument to remove the peg
> for the next section, ring control to let them know where he is, record an
> entry in the book,  lock up again and saunter back to his cab.

The timetable allows for 4 minutes IIRC.  This can be shaved to 3 minutes if the
driver doesn't screw around, and 2 minutes if he calls control from the mobile
phone in the cab.

> In Britain using conventional trains, they beat inter-city bus schedules by
> significant margins.  Here it is much quicker to travel Canberra/Sydney by
> bus, despite rail being (normally) considerably faster in and out of Sydney
> metropolitan area than is possible by road.

Please define "much quicker".  The Xploder does the trip in 4 hours.  How long
does a bus take?

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au