Re: Alice to Darwin railway delayed

David Bromage wrote:

> > > The long awaited official start of the Alice Springs to Darwin railway has
> > > been delayed again. The first sod for the railway was to have been turned
> > > by Prime Minister John Howard and the Northern Territory's Chief Minister,
> > > Denis Burke, next week - but Mr Burke has announced that it will now take
> > > place in January.
>
> > Which January?
>
> Put the number 2001 to 2020 on the wall and throw a dart.

I can see the headlines now.. "the Alice-to-Darwin railway sod-turning
impasse continues into its second year with the decision on protocol for
who should turn the sod and who should hold the bucket still mired in
red tape. The shovel has also also become an issue with some quarters up
in arms over the use of a handle not made from homegrown Northern
Territory wood. A white paper is expected to be drafted within the next
six months to examine the relevant issues.. "

Dion