Re: Today in history

In article <90kehg$d8r$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,  <petercook2705@my-deja.com> wrote:
>I'd love to see the mix in architecture and construction techniques on
>that bridge if that line is ever completed...
>
><brainless proposal>
>
>If Sydney keeps expanding the way it has been, that line could one day
>carry a passenger service to a new outer suburban residential area
>around Appin/Wilton.

></brainless proposal>
>
>Does anyone know if the proposed Sutherland-Wollongong Realignment
>would bypass or duplicate the Coal Cliff-Clifton tunnel?

 The idea of this project is to go around this problem area. It is probably
the major driving force for the whole idea - the Coal Cliff tunnel is not
exactly stable...
 I've heard that the engineers in the area say the only thing holding it
together are several miles of rock bolting, and that the entire headland
tunnel and all will one day break off and tumble into sea!

 Years ago I heard of an EIS being conducted for the bipass line, which
include every long electric traction only tunnels. Never heard any thing since.