Re: Today in history

Electric Traction Only Tunnels - Could that happen today given that it
would effectively exclude all private operators from the line (and even
FreightCorpse when you think about it)?

Also, what would happen to the stations the new line would bypass?
Would they be moved underground? would the old line be retained for
local services? or would they just bustitute the lot (a la Thirlmere)?

MrPC
ICQ 58337073

In article <90muni$c1q$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au>,
  matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au (Matthew Geier) wrote:
>  The idea of this project is to go around this problem area. It is
probably
> the major driving force for the whole idea - the Coal Cliff tunnel is
not
> exactly stable...
>  I've heard that the engineers in the area say the only thing holding
it
> together are several miles of rock bolting, and that the entire
headland
> tunnel and all will one day break off and tumble into sea!
>
>  Years ago I heard of an EIS being conducted for the bipass line,
which
> include every long electric traction only tunnels. Never heard any
thing since.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.