Re: Station Pier tram line

> Some people might be interested.

Yes,

I have happy memories of being a passenger watching trucks of wool bales
being shunted by road tractors during loading of  ss Orcades, Oronsay and
Iberia in 1956 and 57.  The steam engines seemed not to move on the wharf.
Cargo was loaded through the floor of the the swimming pool into one of the
holds.

Somehow I was disappointed on revisting Melbourne to find that the tram line
stopped short of the wharf. Good to hear that the pier will continue a bit
longer.

Of course it would be better still if more cargo still went by rail.

Tom