Re: [Melb] Old railway line

> Okay, thanks, but that doesn't explain to me the context, which was
> about trains being stored on a siding during an "occo."  What was
> occupied? Apart from the disused APM siding? Does the term have some
> wider meaning, like, eg, "demo" has? Are we talking about trains having
> to be parked somewhere unusual because some protest has "occupied" their
> usual yard, or something like that?

I think the context of the occupation ( at that location ) was as
follows:

The running lines between Fairfield and Heidelberg were taken out of
service to let the track machines in do their work. This is
"Occupation".
Normal suburban trains terminate at Fairfield and return to the city. So
the crossovers between mainlines were used to transfer the trains from
down line to up line. The same would occur at Heidelberg where services
were terminated from hurstbridge and trains returned back to
hurstbridge.

The crossover at the down end once connected:
Down side goods yard to down mainline
Down line to up line
Up line to papermill sidings on the up side

--
Peter J. Vincent

Website ............ http://www.netspace.net.au/~pjv101/index.htm