Re: Risky Freight Trains

"Dino64" <dino64@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message > Tezza,

> I use the old brake handle trick. Simply move the train brake handle
forward
> and await relief. All you got to do,  is make sure that you gave you zona
> clerk or control people plenty of notice of your impending long hours and
> what your intentions are when the 11th or 12 hour arrives. Rest assured,
if
> your on the main line, they'll find a hole for you or better still, a
better
> path to run on.

Unfortunately, most blokes can't afford to, the roster clerks immediately
stop giving them overtime or any good jobs. I've even been taken off my
rostered job (when I was a Fireman) to make a statement because the Driver
demanded to have the 30" meal break we were entitled to, then I insisted on
taking the train consist as was required. The Train Crewing Manager wanted
to lay charges.

> The main problem that I keep on hearing about, is that Gunzel (is that how
> you spell it?)types are coming into our work place with some of the
smaller
> operators and they are prepared to work for substandard wages and in
> substandard conditions. I carn't tell you how much this pisses of the
> existing drivers, who have worked so hard to maintain and improve our
> current conditions and the prospects of the rail industry. Stories of
crews
> sleeping in there loco because they didn't want to spend the money on a
> motel. Working 32 hour or longer shifts because they didn't have any
relief
> rostered, poor maintenance on there loco's and rolling stock, refuelling
> loco's in unbunded and non EPA approved locations, single manning in
> unapproved locations, the list goes on. I report any breaches that I see
or
> hear of to the union and I'd ask other concerned drivers to do the same
> thing.

Sounds just like Austrac. Heard they went into recievership yesterday.

NRC was always good for single manning around the Sydney Metrop.