Re: Risky Freight Trains

> > A couple of thousand accident reports say otherwise Russ. Do a little
> > research into how transport operators work world wide. Australia is no
> > different.
>
> How many of these *couple of thousand* accident reports are directly
> attributed to a willful disregard of safety procedures, due to cost
cutting
> (which was Tezza's argument). No-one would be operating trains if this was
> the case.
>
> Australia is different. Have a look at how many major smashes occur (on
> almost a daily basis) in third world railways, where they are still trying
> to define the word *safe* in safeworking.
>
> Russ.

Like I said, a couple of thousand. Would you like me to email them to you?
For starters there is no such thing as a "direct cause accident" and
virtually every accident that has ever happened in the world has had
precedents. In other words rail companies know full well what can be
considered unsafe practise but they have to take into account they are there
to make a dollar. Why do you think they call it "risk management"? For
example, it's common knowledge in the industry reliable communication
between trains is an essential factor in safe working. Read the Glenbrook
inquiry.

Couldn't it be argued that to save money that peoples life's were placed in
danger? Like a few more examples?

To save maintenance costs a set of catch points is removed from a siding.
Wagons rolls out onto the main line and a freight train runs headon into the
runaways.

Due to the costs involved in placing speed restriction boards one company
gives the driver the restriction information on the train order. Control
clerk makes a simple typo on the train order and driver ploughs a train into
the dirt.

Trainee driver is identified as a safety risk. Company has invested a
fortune in training and decides driver is worth the risk. 3 weeks later same
driver overshoots a signal by a kilometre on a very large freight train.

Driver complains flow meter isn't working on a locomotive. Threatened with
dismissal if he doesn't take train out.

And my personal favourite even though it is overseas and not an accident.
Chemical toilets on locos are the source of a foul stench. Company solution?
Give drivers plastic bags for making a deposit. Residents complain about the
number of plastic bags littering track. Company solves the problem by
getting drivers to sign out plastic bag and sign it in at the end of the
shift. Perfect job for a bean counter. Happened in the US only a few years
ago.

Jeff