Re: Future of Queensland Rail looks bleak, says Beattie

Maurie Daly (mauried@tpg.com.au) wrote:
> The sooner we get rid of State Govts running trains in this country the better
> for all.

Why? If the operation generates a profit, does it matter who owns it? You
could sell off QR for a couple of hundred million, or get the same amount
in dividends every five years for all time. Privatisation only makes the
books look good for the first few years.

> Why does Qld now suddenly want to be part of the interstate action.

Because it's profitable, generating income for the operator. QR already
does it with a passenger train, so why not freight?

> They have shown zero interest for the last 100 years.

It hasn't been possible until relatively recently.

Cheers
David