Re: New Melbourne trams have fewer seats than the old ones but they're longer!

"David Hansen" <SENDdavidNOhSPAM@spidacom.co.uk> wrote in message
osfspsspb7o24se77f7vdam1dp5hlk7gk0@4ax.com">news:osfspsspb7o24se77f7vdam1dp5hlk7gk0@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:18:07 +1000 someone who may be "Ted Gay"
> <tedgay@bigpond.com> wrote this:-
>
> >that half the passengers are riding with their back to the direction of
> >travel or are sitting side on which is not comfortable on any but short
> >trips.
>
> Back to direction of travel is more comfortable. Sideways is fine, if
> the vehicle rides reasonably smoothly.

At stub terminals the conductors of Sydney R and R1 class trams would walk
through the tram swinging every seat back over for the new journey. I never
saw a passenger chose to swing the back over and sit facing the rear. On
Sydney buses (new low floor excepted) there are four seats that face the
rear, why are these seats always the last to be taken? Not because they are
the most comfortable surely?

Ted