Re: New Melbourne trams have fewer seats than the old ones but they're longer!

"David McLoughlin" <davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote in message
> Courtesy of Wolfgang Auer in Wien, I have a set of blueprint-style
> diagrams of the new Combino trams ordered by Swanston Trams in
> Melbourne.
>
> I am amazed to see that the new trams, despite being much longer than
> the existing Melbourne trams, have far fewer seats. I predict when the
> public discover this, there will be an uproar in the news media.
>
> The order for 59 Combinos has two sub-orders, for three-section
> articulated trams and for five-section articulated trams.
>
> The three-section trams will be 19.08 metres long and from the diagrams
> appear to have 28 seats. There are certainly no more than 32.
>
> By comparison, Z1-class trams which they are supposed to replace are
> 16.6 metres long and have 48 seats.
>
> The five-section Combinos are 28.89 metres long and as far as I can see
> from the diagrams have no more than 56 seats, but possibly less (I think
> some of the seats in both models are fold-up slots for wheelchairs
> rather than standard double seats for ambulent passengers).

The Adtranz Vario tram used in Sydney is 28.28 metres long with 74 seats
<and 2 for the driver!  :-)>  A German design but built in Melbourne with
Aussie modifications, really makes you think.

In comparison the last Sydney designed tram, the R1 class introduced in
1935, had 56 seats, most had tip over backs therefore 48 passengers could
ride facing forward, whereas all modern trams have fixed seating ensuring
that half the passengers are riding with their back to the direction of
travel or are sitting side on which is not comfortable on any but short
trips.

 Regards... Ted