Re: QR short of cattle wagons

lbrown2@bigpond.com (Brown Family) wrote:

You can call me what you like Les.

For your information, I did mention LIVE cattle exports
in my original post to this thread.  HINT ...Darwin is
long way away from the nearest railhead.!

Cattle producers in the NT turn off their stock to
wherever they can get the best price.  Many producers
on the Barkly Tablelands of the NT have traditionally
moved their stock across the border to Qld, in fact the
Boss Drovers of 100 years ago did that from as far away
as Western Australia.!

In recent years, a large proportion of NT cattle are
moved via road train through Darwin to SE Asia.

The "traditional" Adelaide markets in South Australia
will only accept a certain amount of cattle from the
Northern Territory for the domestic market and after
that the cattlemen will get stuff all for their
product, hence the drop in cattle carried on the TAS.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the present or
past operators on this line.!

If QR can carry and look after cattle at better prices
than road, so be it, I know why they can, they make
millions out of hauling bulk minerals and can keep
services and lines open that no other government system
can, not too mention that road trains are very much
restricted as to where they can run in Queensland.

----Tell
Alice Springs NT
<< Remove 01 for email reply >>