Re: QR short of cattle wagons

On Sat, 12 Aug 2000 22:31:12 +0930, "< Tell >"
<telljb@01.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>> What happened to AN's livestock wagons?

>Probably lying around gathering rust, mainly due to the
>live cattle exports North.
>Road Trains, NT road trains that is, move cattle double
>decked, tripled trailer in big quantities.!
>Anybody who just might be thinking the proposed Alice
>to Darwin railway line will "open up" cattle markets
>simply does not have a clue.!  Just as the mining
>industry up here is more than catered for by road
>trains, wink wink, dont let AustralAsia Rail know that.
>
>But whatever, AN's big cattle movers will never run in
>Qld, NSW, SA-Vic because they happen to be too long and
>too high, double deck 80 footers will never run on
>these systems ever.
>
>BTW, still a few busted-arse CR and SAR shorty single
>decks around, some are actually parked up this way.
>
>Livestock containers on flat cars, hey I remember them,
>the Commonwealth Railways used them on the North
>Australia Railway 30 years ago.!

So Tell, why is it in your opinion that QR seem to be making a good
business out of transporting livestock (and, apparently, doing a
better job at it than the truckies) when AN/NRC could not/cannot make
a go of it? Better roads or cheaper trucks around your way?

Les Brown