Re: [NSW] Tail Discs

> From: "Derick Wuen" <cullend@webone.com.au>
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:22:05 +1000
> Subject: Re: [NSW] Tail Discs
>
> Thanks to all contributors. Unfortunately, I don't think the reason for
> circular and triangular (oxymoronic) tail discs has been settled. Both
> indicate train complete.
>
> The meaning might be one of the following....
>
> (1) main (trianglular) and branch (circular). Whats a branch????
>
> (2) double track (triangular) and single track (circular). But triangles on
> the North Coast line????
>
> (3) Follow-on time interval or mainline speed vs. branchline speed.
> Michelago-Bredbo section was branchline speed?????

Jeez, didn't think a Vicie would have to answer this!

I never paid much attention to NSW but I thought it was common knowledge
that circle and triangle were for single and double track. In latter years
the rule was dropped and they didn't care if they got the correctly shaped
disc on the right track. Only NSW could come up with different discs on
different tracks as opposed to destination discs which actually served a
purpose.

Mark