Re: VicGrain facilities

David Bromage wrote:

> ABC radio reports that VicGrain is to build 3 new silos at Dunolly, Echuca
> and Dookie, and upgrade 9 others around the state. Dunolly and Echuca
> already have silos, so I can only assume this means additional facilities.

Reading your information prompted me to find the following at the vicgrain website:
http://www.vicgrain.com.au/MedReleases/Media_Releases/MediaRelease213.htm

Media Release (August 9, 2000)

                       Increased storage for 12 local receival sites

Following the successful grower vote to merge Vicgrain and GrainCorp, the Chairman of Vicgrain, Allan McCallum, has announced funding of more than $3 million for additional bunker storages.

The bunkers will create a further 600,000 tonnes of storage required to cope with the significant carryover of grain from last season's harvest.

The new funding is part of Vicgrain's and the merged GrainCorp's commitment to increase capital expenditure by around 60% per
annum.  It builds on recent announcements to upgrade bunker equipment, elevation capacity and several key receival sites,
including Geelong, Berriwillock and Ultima, with new infrastructure involving weighbridges, sampling standards and roadworks.

Receival sites benefiting from the injection of funds are spread across the Vicgrain network and include Carwarp, Manangatang,
Nhill, Oaklands district, Ouyen, Panitya, Piangil, Murrayville, Murtoa, Dunolly, Yarrawonga and Quambatook.  All works should be
completed before the commencement of harvest.

Mr McCallum has praised local government officials for their cooperative approach, which resulted in minimal delays in Vicgrain
receiving planning approvals for the new storage works.  In addition, recent fine weather had allowed earth-moving works to
commence at many of the targeted sites.

"Carryover grain is being held in existing bunkers resulting from last season's record harvest, combined with a slower shipping
program by marketers.

"Major considerations including high carryover levels, early indications of another bumper harvest and providing growers with
access to key segregations, has made construction of the additional bunker storages necessary.

"Without the additional bunkers, local grain growers would have been forced to travel further to those surrounding sites with
storage capacity, resulting in increased travelling times and distances.

"This situation would have been inconsistent with the commitment by Vicgrain and the incoming board of a merged GrainCorp to
improving services for growers," Mr McCallum said.

Sites to receive additional bunker storages include:

RECEIVAL SITES       COST
Carwarp                     $250 000
Manangatang              $150 000
Nhill                           $100 000
Oaklands Dst              $200 000
Ouyen                        $200 000
Panitya                       $250 000
Piangil                        $400 000
Yarrawonga               $200 000
Dunolly                      $250 000
Murrayville                $200 000
Murtoa                       $300 000
Quambatook               $250 000

For further information, please contact Trevor Robertson on 92513 424 (bh) or 0408 630 530.