Re: Echuca Loco Restoration

James Brook (ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> David Bromage wrote:
> >
> > James Brook (ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> > > I may be wrong about this, but I thought it was under restoration at the
> > > moment.
> >
> > It had extensive cosmetic restoration in the mid-90s. This included some
> > preservation to the boiler and motion gear. They may have started actual
> > restoration.

> I may be hallucinating, but I'm sure I can remember a report in one of
> the railfan magazines a few years ago with a photo showing it partially
> stripped and the boiler in steam.

I know it was fully stripped and given some treatment. I have a photo of
it in 1995 with all the cladding off and the boiler painted in chromate
primer. I never heard of it being steamed.

There was another boiler on the wharf which was restored, and later put
into a paddle steamer. I remember making a mental note at the time that it
looked very much like a VR <forgotten class> loco boiler.

> As I understood it, the boiler had
> been repaired and they were seeking the funding/resources to restore the
> rest of the loco. WCR was also mentioned somewhere. Can anyone confirm
> this?

It's been discussed on and off for some time. I don't know what, if
anything, ever came out of the various proposals.

Cheers
David