Re: Broken Hill/Griffirh pass. cancelled.

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000 12:27:09 GMT, James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com>
wrotj:

>In article <PNYJ4.213$gu1.753544@news0.optus.net.au>,>
>> Thanks Glenn - was the Silver City Limited called that when it was
>operated
>> by a Budd car as well?
>>
>> Dave
>It started up as a replacement for Peterborough railcar service and
>used refurbished Budd railcar for the service. Later they(AN) Actually
>record an increase patron(same experienced with Blue lake limited/Iron
>trangle limited) and Blue birds were occasionally used. Sadly, the
>government reckons that it would be cheaper to use buese due to the
>expensive maintenance cost of these railcars plus little advertisment
>the railcar can't fullfill its true potential finally withdraw
>completely.

I travelled through Broken Hill in November 72.  The Comet to BH, then
a one or two car passenger train hauled by an 830 from BH to
Peterborough, where I changed to a BG loco hauled pass to Adelaide.
In typical railfan style I stretched out on the seat and slept in my
sleeping bag after the change at P'boro, and woke approaching Adelaide
with four people in the compartment sitting on the opposite seat.
Quite a strange awakening.

Cheers...JD

John Dennis                             jdennis@mpx.com.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:  http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jdennis/dbt.html