Re: Broken Hill/Griffirh pass. cancelled.

James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com> writes:

>> >I wonder what will now
>> >happen to 42203 & 42220?
>
>Ends up in Sim metal yard ....as with most of the aging locos. I'm not
>surprised. A frequency like once weekly is next to
>nothing....inconvinent to user in the country...

No it's not. The Silver City Comet only ran twice a week. It was running for
52 years...

Nobody ever complained much about it since it was the only all-stations
service between Parkes and Broken Hill. Apparently there is a plan afoot to
have the IP stop all stations between Orange and Broken Hill in lieu of the
Countrylink train.. I can really see GSR doing that when they're just about
to move into the black. 8-)

>> Strange for Countrylink to suddenly stop a service without a public
>> announcement isn't it?
>It's countrylink we talking about...I'm not surprised...the same
>organisation who reckons that loco haul comofortable sleepers with
>lounges/dining car wouldn't attract passengers and welling to swap with
>XPT.

That wasn't purely a political move, despite what everyone seems to think.
There are real savings to having a uniform fleet of trains. Most country
rail services were canned either during the big fuel strike in the 1970's
(MCR years), or later around 1983/84 MCR when there was another big purge.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport