Re: Broken Hill/Griffirh pass. cancelled.

> I think a bit of a reality check is needed here guys.
> Broken Hill isnt by any standards a big town, (pop 21356, source ABS)
which as
> a comparison makes it smaller than towns like
Whyalla,Mildura,Bairnsdale all
> of which have no train service at all.
Er....actaully these towns have the potential, cut backs were due to
short sighted politicans who not interested in running trains(Bloody
Jeff),they see trains as unprofitable slow losser. Warrnambool could
have been on the list also, see what WCR did so far.

Broken Hill is better of compare with "Longreach" of Queensland where
not many big towns are on the line but no good alternative public
transport nor good roads access to these towns which makes passenger
rail viable.

> If Countrylink however are adamant that Broken Hill needs a train
service
> whether daily or at some less frequent schedule ,it would make far
more sense
> to run an XPT service from Sydney to Adelaide,at least that way you
tap into
> some of the towns on the SA side,and lets face it Broken Hill is
really in SA
> anyway,it gets SA television , runs on SA time ,is much closer to
Adelaide
> than to Sydney.
But part of the reason Broken Hill service loss passengers is the bad
timetabling.

> Countrylinks current idea , ie of bulk booking cars on the IP & Ghan
is all
> that is needed.
>
> MD
Did NSW government subsidise GSR for concession cards holders on these
trains?

--
Cheers

James