Re: [NSW] Sydney transport woes???

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> In truth, by world standards (and lets face it, if Auckland was the
> benchmark almost anywhere outside the US would be considered to have
> excellent public transport) inner Melbourne and Sydney have mediocre
> public transport and the outer suburbs of both cities, Melbourne in
> particular, have dreadful public transport.

We'll have to just agree to disagree here. I have travelled extensively
in Europe, South Asia, Asia, North America and Australia and I would
rate the public transport in the inner to middle areas of Melbourne and
Sydney as good, and better than in most North American cities and not
too far behind many European cities.

The outer suburbs of virtually any North American cities as well as the
outer suburbs of similar sized European cities also do not have the
intensive public transport found in the inner and middle suburbs so
Sydney and Melbourne are little different in that regard.

I certainly don't make Auckland my benchmark. Auckland is a godforsaken
hole and its transport system is a huge joke. I do not live here by
choice, I assure you.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand