Re: [QLD] Brisbane Airport Railway - baggage handling

>> It seems that every second train will stop: Airport, Brunswick St,
Central,
>> Roma St, Sth Brisbane.
>Will they turn around at South Brisbane??

Entirely possible given there are 3 platforms at Sth Brisbane. Some
Shorncliffe trains terminate at Sth Brisbane already.

> How about a branch from Helenvale to South Port/Surfers Paradise/Board
> Beach and rejoin the line at Coolangatta??:-) yes! no doubt it would be
> expensive but the huge population along the coast line ensure the
> feasibility of this branch. How much would it cost is this line ever
> build? 1 billion$ as I assume it will go underground most of the time ?
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> James

The talk in the Gold Coast newspapers last year was a push to have QR build
a new station at Parkwood (between Helensvale and Nerang, near the Smith St
turn-off) and a light rail running the loop from Parkwood to Nerang via
Southport (passing the Griffith University campus), Surfers Paradise,
Broadbeach and Cararra.

Quuensland Transport's Integrated Regional Transport Plan
(http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/QT/irtpsign.nsf/index/about2007) makes
mention of this, in a slightly watered-down version: "Some of the potential
improvements identified in the draft Vision for the Gold Coast include:
developing a public transport network along the coastline with light rail
from Southport to Broadbeach, bus lanes from Broadbeach to Burleigh Heads,
and bus priority measures as far as Coolangatta"

RODS :-)