Re: XPT - First or Economy??

>I am going to be returning to Brisbane from Melbourne by XPT (o/n to
>Syd, o/n to Bris), which would be better - first or economy??  Is there
>enough difference to justify the extra money?   I've only travelled XPT
>once, o/n from Melbourne to Sydney (economy) in the middle of summer
>school holidays - packed train.
>
>Any advise from the regular XPT users???

Kym,

Definately go first class. The physical difference between the two classes
is not at all that much, as Dave Proctor pointed out, a few inches extra
leg room, and your seat reclines further. But, the difference is who you're
sitting with. It's usually less congested in first class, unless the train
is booked out. Many times catching the XPT, i've been able to get a double
seat to myself, which means I can have a window, and be able to get out of
my seat whenever I want without bothering anyone.

As pointed out, in economy you are generally sitting with more feral types
of people (trying not to generalise here) so that can be less comforting.

The best way is to see for yourself. Stand at ??? station just before an
XPT is due to depart, and walk past each of the carriages to see what type
of people are in them. Cars B & C are first class, D, E, F, G are economy.
Car A is the sleeper.

Regards

Michael