Re: Redfern derailment - rails rusted through???

In article <38F3FE6E.7B0D8164@fastlink.com.au> Railway Rasputin II <bob@fastlink.com.au> writes:
>From: Railway Rasputin II <bob@fastlink.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Redfern derailment - rails rusted through???
>Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:41:18 +1000

>Well with this split up of the railways and who dares wins work
>contracting, nothing would supprise me. You would have to speek to the
>people doing that particular job.

>rgds

Where does liabilty lie these days for these sorts of accidents.
We have RAC as the track owner who contract out the track maintenance
to other companies,some private some Govt owned like RSA.
When a prang occurrs and its fairly certain that its a track problem ,then who
pays , if indeed anyone does ,or is one of the advantages of breaking a
railway up into lots of little bits is that there is ultimately no one to
blame .

MD