Re: VIC report and action on Ararat collision

In article <6AFJ4.63$Da1.3644@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net> "HXP1" <hxp1@bigfoot.com> writes:
>From: "HXP1" <hxp1@bigfoot.com>
>Subject: Re: VIC report and action on Ararat collision
>Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 00:07:02 +1000

>Gordon Macmillan <gmac@melbpc.org.au> wrote in message
>8d6hhf$hrt$1@possum.melbpc.org.au">news:8d6hhf$hrt$1@possum.melbpc.org.au...

>> from
>> http://www.dpc.vic.gov.au/domino/web_notes/newmedia.nsf/

>> DATE: Thursday, April 13, 2000

>> NEW STEPS TO IMPROVE RAIL SAFETY

>From the press release:

>"The report recommends that there is greater need for an independent
>monitoring of the rail system by the Department of Infrastucture's Safety
>and Technical Branch.

>Wot! Thats a bit radical... |-)

>No sign of the actual report online anywhere (like Zanthus), I checked the
>ATSB and PTSD sites, but alas, nothing.

>--
>HXP1
>(now with v6.08 software)

Does anyone know what if anything has happened re the situation at Ararat to
prevent a re occurrance of this incident.
At least one would expect a switch lock to be installed on the main line
points interlocked with the up departure homes at Pyrenees Loop,or am I
dreaming.

At least in the case of Zanthus ,ARTC made a token effort to install timers on
the point motors.

Also you have to wonder exactly whose responsibilty it is in the Ararat case
to fix this sort of problem.
Is it the track owner or the track lessee?
If we are going to have an independant monitoring of the rail system by who
ever,then there has to be some sort of minimum standards that have to be
adhered to ,so that we have something to monitor against.
Id be amazed if the current ASW system would comply with an sort of standard
at all.

MD