Re: Redfern derailment - rails rusted through???

'Twas a dark and stormy night on Fri, 7 Apr 2000 21:18:21 +1000 as "Nobody"
<dweebken@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> took time out from the neverending quest to rid the
world of grues and wrote:

> I heard on the news tonight that a derailment at Redfern last night was
> caused by tracks that had rusted right through... Any substance to this?

More like a lack of substance, that substance being steel.

Looks like a lack of rail maintenance caused the derailment.  I can remember
back 30 years when the site of trackwalkers, usually big Fijians with a
sledgehammer over one shoulder and a large spanner over the other, was a very
common site to see.

I haven't seen a trackwalker in ages lately.

Catchya

   http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kingpin1