Re: Cityracket ticket inspectors

"Greg" <gregg@hactrix.co.nz> wrote in message
38fa7d73@news.actrix.gen.nz">news:38fa7d73@news.actrix.gen.nz...

> hahahaha u r not suggesting the tickets cost nothing to produce are u?
some
> one pays .. and itsa those who travel ....
> have u ever purchased a ticket?  nuff said!

So are you saying that the cost to produce a $17 return ticket is $16 more
than the cost to produce a $1 pensioner excursion?

Actually, there is considerable body of law (mainly UK law from prior to
1901, hence it has precedental value here) that says that when you pay your
fare and receive your ticket, you are not actually paying for the ticket.
There was a case in the United Kingdom a few years back based on this law
where someone had a receipt for the fare paid (it was a credit card receipt
or something like that) but did not have their ticket, and their details
came up on the conductors printout, so there was no dispute that the fare
had not been paid.

The court held that the railway, as the woner of the ticket, was entitled to
demand that the ticket be produced on demand during the journey. The court
held that the passenger was liable for the fare evasion fine (penalty fare
in the UK) because the railway, having furnished the passenger with a ticket
as evidence that he had paid the appropriate fare, was fully entitled to not
accept any other proof of payment.

I do not have the cases to hand, but I can dig them out if you want. It will
take a while, as we are on uni breaks at the moment.

Dave