Re: Cityracket ticket inspectors

"C. Dewick" <craigd@lios.apana.org.au> wrote in message
8d92ea$o8b$1@jedi.apana.org.au">news:8d92ea$o8b$1@jedi.apana.org.au...
> "chris@enet21.com.au" <chris@enet21.com.au> writes:
>
> >it was on the ticket machine side in the shopping centre. I rekon it is
not
> >legal.
>
> Why? You have to have a valid ticket anyway otherwise you aren't allowed
> enter the paid area of a station.
>
> So what is wrong with checking tickets outside the barriers? If somebody
has
> an invalid ticket it doesn't matter where on a station you are, because by
> simple association it's obvious that you will be attempting to gain entry
> the station using that ticket, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to get
> through the barriers in the first place. 8-)

Since the station in question had a commercial area (with a US Consul (aka
McDonalds) directly opposite the gates) people had perfectly valid reasons
to be in the area, reasons that did not involve train travel. People also
had perfectly valid reason to be approaching the gates when not travelling.
Checking the indicators is one such reason.

Checking every ticket outside the gates is a waste of manpower, and a
grossly inefficient use of resources.

Dave