Re: Cityracket ticket inspectors

"Gail BENNETT" <valleyfm@mpx.com.au> wrote in message
38f78c14$0$27493@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:38f78c14$0$27493@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> The Transport Administration Act does allow Revenue Protection people to
> check tickets of any person entering any station.
>
> It must be remembered, this is not 'railway law'...this is State law and
> RPO's are enforcing the laws of the State of NSW. If you do not produce a
> ticket on demand, then the RPO's can deny entry to the paid area.
>
> In modern day law enforcement, it is cheaper to be proactive than
reactive.

But it then comes down to when they can check tickets. There is an implied
invitation to be in the non-paid area of stations, particularly when there
is a commercial area there (like Chatswood, the subject of the post).

Now whilst I agree that it is better to be proactive to prevent fare evasion
before it occurs, why aren't they sticking to the law (and also being far
more efficient) by waiting for people to go through the gates and checking
those with concession tickets (indicated by the light).

Why are they checking ALL tickets - isn't that the purpose of the gates, to
determine whether a ticket was valid or not). Surely standing inside the
paid area and selecting everyone who lights up the gates (or better still,
using the gates as designed, setting one for concessions only and the rest
to full fare only) would be a much better use of the human resources.

Dave