Re: QR okay for Y2K

Gareth Lumsden <s9763278@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au> wrote in message
Pine.SOL.3.96.991001154824.12966G-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au">news:Pine.SOL.3.96.991001154824.12966G-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au...
> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, David Bromage wrote:
>
> > ABC News reports QR suburban trains will run as normal on New Year's Eve
> > without fear of Y2K problems. Sydney, Melbourne and Perth will halt
> > running over midnight, but Vince O'Rourke says Brisbane will run as
> > normal.
>
> AFAIK Melbourne will not be shutting down over midnight.

I thought I read in here that all trains had to be in a platofrm between
2355 and 0005 in Melbourne.

> Hillside and Bayside have both completed their Y2K testing.
> e.g.  A few months ago, a 3 car Comeng ran all night for testing.
> (Presumably clocks/dates were put forward for the test run)

That would be a totally ineffectual test. CityRail in Sydney are confident
that the trains and signalling systems will keep running. What they are
scared about is things like the electricity grid failing, preventing supply
of traction power, and other utilities that could cause the system to shut
down.

So whilst Hillside/Bayside/Yarra/Swanston might have completed their Y2K
testing, they cannot be *sure* that nothing will happen. (I miyself think
that nothing will).

> In fact, on NYE an all night service will run on all train and tram
> routes, with double frequency (every 15 mins) from midnight until 2am(?).

Only 2am? Sheesh, they really know how to party down there, don't they!
</SARCASM>

> The very-informative-and-always-correct Herald Sun told me that
> most taxis will not be servicing the city, only suburban railway stations.

This makes sense. They should also adopt Singapore style bans on cars in the
city area (TransUrban will love that - IF they have got the toll equipment
up and running).

> Who is Vince O'Rouke?  Is he a politician? ;-)

Head of QR - I think he is also a former Chief Executive of State Rail (I
think).

DaveP