Re: NT govt may scuttle Darwin rail

"Exnarc" <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote:

> Better to be a bean bag than a weasle like Reith.

Might be something in that.

> Anyway its fact how many times have the Liberals thrown up the Alice Darwin
> Railway as an election bribe just before a NT or SA election, only to
> conveniently drop it after the election. I'll agree that had Fraser been re
> elected in 1982(?) it might have got off the ground, but that was the last
> time the Libs treated it seriously other than to suck in the rednecks up
> your way.

Well up here, the Alice to Darwin line has always been
on the political agenda, and has bi-partisan support.

> (I'm not implying YOUR a redneck, so don't get offended).

I have a hide like a rhinoceros, I am not offended.

> Its a con they will never build this railway because its not going to return
> any money on its investment. There is nothing up there, (yet) to support the
> cost. Lets not get back to the export of goods to Asia via Darwin, or
> defence, we have seen in the latter that they can move (what isn't aready in
> the NT) in by air quicker than any road or rail line could do.

Yes there is no sound reason to build this line for the
present freight available.  The only way this line will
ever be viable is if Darwin becomes a major container
port, all of this was well hashed over in this group
some years ago.

> Regards from Beanbag Beasley's mate Bob.

Kim's OK, just a short memory, like most of them.

----Terry Burton
[clear OZ in address for email reply]