Re: NT govt may scuttle Darwin rail

dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:

> Today's Adelaide Advertiser reports that the NT government may withdraw
> from the Alice Springs - Darwin project (taking its $100 million with it)
> over a dispute with the preferred construction tenderer. Chief Minister
> Denis Burke says the Asia Pacific Transportation Corporation is not
> pledging enough money to the project.

Have not heard anything up here, yet.

> APTC is currently trying to raise $800 million of private invesement. The
> SA and federal oppositions are calling on the Federal government to invest
> moe money in the project.

Yes, it would seem that the "private" Alice to Darwin
Railway, is very much depended on tax payers money.

Opposition's promising money is easy, they do not have
to account.  Even when Labor was in power, Bob Hawke
sent David-SRA-Hill up here many years ago, to put the
kybosh on the Alice to Darwin rail.

Funny how, when the current Labor Opposition, Federal
and South Australian were in government they did
absolutely *nothing* when they were in Government to
build this line.  The Territory government was alone.

Am I a cynic.?  Yes.  59 years old makes me that way.

----Terry Burton
[clear OZ in address for email reply]