Re: Lines never opened

: IIRC they actually dug out the cutting - out of quite hard rock -
: during freeway construction, and then filled it in again with soil.
: When railway construction began all they would need to do was remove
: the soft dirt - hahaha.

What about under the roadway?

: >No Craig they actually did exploritary digging at the Down end of the goods
: >yard, digging a cutting (I assume to go under the Freeway, or maybe to find
: >foundations for a bridge?), it was only about 100 yards long, its since been
: >filled in.

: >> A query - what work was done at Victoria Park?  I think this got a mention
: >on
: >> this group a while back, and I wondered about it then too....
: >> I recall when flicking through old VicRail staff mags I found an article
: >where
: >> the line was deviated at the down end across an embankment while the
: >Eastern
: >> Freeway bridges were built.  Has this been confused with work on the
: >proposed
: >> Doncaster line, or a was something different done in the quest to built to
: >> Doncaster?

They graded the freeway and even had some land along King Street in Doncaster
East.  But they (the government) sold that land a long time ago.

--

Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord

e-mail: cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au