Re: Screens savers on message boards?

Hi,

Why not take Melbourne's approach? Melbourne have two line high intensity
LED displays. An example is below (Set fixed width font)

+------------------------+
| BRADMEADOWS      15    |
| Stopping All Stations  |
+------------------------+

First line shows destination, and time til arrival.
Second line shows stopping conditions, scrolls if it does not fit on the
one line.

I use broadmeadows as the example above because the whole word does not
quite fit on the line. I have seen it display 3 different variations, at
the one station on the broadmeadows line that has this type of display:
"BRDMEADOWS", "BRADMEADOWS" "BROADMEADOW".

Otherwise this system works perfectly and is located at a lot of premium
stations.

We also have a help point system /that works/. The unit is a small
stainless steel box with two buttons, a speaker grille cutout (appears
vandalproof, splash proof) and a small hole in the top left hand corner.

The red button, calls the closest premium station for emergency assistance.
(Also video monitored). The green button calls for automatic timetable
information for the next three trains (after the last train, the recorded
announcement reads "there are no more trains this evening, please check the
wall sheet timetable for services tomorrow morning" or similar).

The voice used is realistic enough that when i heard the announcement for
the first time (was at Reservoir, probably about 2-3 years ago) i thought
it was a real person. i.e. he does not sound like he has had a lobotomy,
like the latest CityRail DVA's

As discussed in a previous thread, about the desto's not working properly
on CityRail trains, once again, Melbourne have done it fine for years.
Manually, since before the rock, and electronically since the late 70's
(Hitachi's had desto motors retrofitted to what was then a manual scroll).

As far as passenger information goes, why doesn't CityRail look at the
options used in Melbourne? We seem to do it a lot better.

Regards
Michael