Re: How can we make trains run later?

Bill Bolton <billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org> wrote in message
ZrjwNyz0cVYlO2nfO9mc1OSOCXkW@4ax.com">news:ZrjwNyz0cVYlO2nfO9mc1OSOCXkW@4ax.com...
> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > The marker lights were understood by everyone
>
> Well, I knew what the North Shore combination was because that was the
> line I travelled on frequently but I didn't have any idea what the
> other combinations meant and always had to go a look them up in First
> Stop Central whenever I had a need to decode them in a photograph.

There wasn't a "North Shore" combination! The train would display whatever
light code was appropriate to where it had come from/was going to - top left
& right for West, centre and top left for Hornsby via Strathfield, centre &
top right for South (also used by Illawarra trains).

There was, however, an "Eastern Suburbs" code - top right & lower left.

Without looking it up, can anyone remember what the code with just the
centre light on meant??

One thing that always puzzled me - why were RED lights provided in the top
centre and lower left fittings, when these were never normally used? In case
of lamp failure, perhaps?

Rgds

Ron BESDANSKY