Re: Sydney NSW Train Strike 29/9 (was: Train Strike Tomorrow.)

I get confused about who is on strike ...

I heard a radio report that drivers were reporting as rostered.

One news story reads
"RTBU members employed as customer service staff, ticket salespeople,
station managers and duty officers are involved in today's stopwork. But
safety regulations prevent drivers and guards, also RTBU members, operating
trains without station staff present."
so how come I haven't seen any freights either?  Are RBTU signallers out or
do station staff still exchange hand signals with the guards on freights?

I also get confused about whether the employees or the management are
playing games ...

Another story reads
"Outside the hearing, RTBU senior industrial officer Bob Wadham said there
would be no trains for peak hour commuters this afternoon because it was
logistically impossible to get the network operating in time."

Back on the seventies and eighties there were several demonstrations of how
it *is* possible to resume an off-peak train service over a few hours if
crews start their rostered peak-hour shifts in the afternoon.  Why is it
that the RBTU spokesman, rather than CityRail, decides what is possible?

Looking forward to informed details,

Bill