Re: Taken For A Ride

Fiction hey?
the ownership issues may well be disputable but the conspiracy to build
freeways was certainly genuine
Western European countries like Germany certainly also went mad building
freeways (and other crazy things like invading Eastern Europe...) but did
not neglect their rail systems.
Why were road users charges never levied at full-cost recovery rates?
Why - as I've indicated in a previous thread- is that whole urbanised mass
of NE USA not covered in high-speed rail lines like similarly densely
populated parts of Europe and Asia are?
Why did we follow suit - we had government ownership and weren't obliged to
follow this supposed English-speaking trend. Why has Melbourne still got
trams when no-one else has - and if I hear the "melbourne has wide streets"
argument again...I'll show someone Victoria St N Richmond in peak hour.
The post WWII land use planning was and is a political issue, manipulated by
pollies for short-term gain. Their cronies in building and real estate, the
gullible working class who buy on the outskirts and the rail unions who dug
their own graves can also be thanked for the mess we are in.

37efec70@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:37efec70@news.iprolink.co.nz...